Tuesday 7 July 2020

In the beginning......

Being well advanced into my dotage, my recall of days long gone is far better than what I had for tea yesterday. My dear papa was a military man, and at one Christmas party (many gifts fashioned in the Camp workshops) in  the very early 50's, I received a fort (painted co-incidentally exactly the same shade of green as the centurion tanks and other vehicles outside the Officer's Mess  windows)  and half a dozen Britain's soldiers. I cannot recall any other gifts I received that year. My interest in all things military, and my admiration for the men and women who don their country's uniform, remain undiminished with the passing years.

Airfix figures ( 2 shillings a box, affordable when one's income was 2 shillings and sixpence)  were early favourites although Swoppet knights were AWESOME. In teen years conversions were attempted with the useful aforementioned Airfix. Metal models were mainly beyond my reach... 2s 6d for 1 mounted knight.

Then came RPGs.

This blog will be based on my ramblings and musings of the present day shenanigans that I attempt., inspired by the blogs of others and the advent of  Bob Cordery's The Portable Wargame and Neil Thomas' One Hour Wargames. I can no longer hoik  around 6x4 pieces of  MDF and the use of the dining room table is severely curtailed by the powers that be, hence the delight of discovering The Portable Wargame.

Last evening I played my first game of Ganesha Games 'Galleys & Galleons' . Inspired by Kaptain Kobold's enthralling Action reports and his 'lolly stick' ships, themselves inspired by Tim's Miniature ( The Stronghold Rebuilt). I played the first scenario, The Pursuit. A large Galleon sttod in for an Indiaman and a Brig of Piratical intent, the Witch  of Bognor was the pursuer.

The Dagwacht saw that the Witch was making a course to intercept her on the further side of Napkin Island  and , having disappeared from the Witch's view wore ship to bring her back to the windward side of the Island. When the Witch cleared the Island with many a curse she too turned back. The Captain and Master of The Dagwacht  knew this would happen and awaited the sight of the Witch's staysails and wore ship again.



The infuriated pirates turned their ship agai..... unfortunately they did not have the sea room  and ran aground.... the Dagwacht had a simple run to its exit point.


Back on the island the pirate crew had 2 problems to solve, how to repair and refliat the Witch and the election of a new captain..... the previous post holder now being the main course for the island's crabs

1 comment:

  1. Lovely little vessels John! Finally found your blog (after a brain malfunction!)

    ReplyDelete