Saturday 8 August 2020

The repercussions of the Crook's Farm Battle

 


If either of the commanders had expected acclamation and plaudits from their superiors following their actions at Crook's Farm, they were sadly disappointed.
Sir Josiah, reporting to Senior Commanders in Linden, was given little praise for carrying the war to the enemy, or for the meagre fooddtuffs he had procured for the City. It was pointed out to him that his troops were now busy consuming such victuals  and therefore thanks to his actions was putting the City's supplies in deficit.
Lord Thomas had pointed out to him that if he had not retired from the Field at South Clifton then the foe would not have entered the lands to the West of the River Trout in the first place, and, despite Lord Thomas' blustering and indignant protestations regarding his ejection of an enemy host with but an equal sized force of his own, the Royalist Command in Nottingham 'regretted' his failure to follow up the enemy and either annihilate them as they attempted to ford the River Trout, or harrass them all the way to Linden. 

Both commanders returned to their base areas in high dudgeon, to resupply, re-equip, recruit and soothe the hurts they had received from their superiors. Their subordinate Colonels took their Regiments home with varying amounts of relief, and anticipation of further service.   Whilst they awaited the orders and commissions  of the Higher Command, Lord Thomas and Sir Josiah resolved to entertain the troops that they might call on, with attacks on local adherents to the enemy's cause.

" scarce a  day went by without some alarum or excursion or beating up of quarters"


If I can find some simple skirmish rules to my liking and some suitable cheap figures I might game such an attack with perhaps 20 figures a side. Otherwise it will be an algorithm and Excel Random number in a spreadsheet job. 

4 comments:

  1. I purchased a couple of these "Armies" a while back - I am painting them at a speed that should be measured in geological time but may game with them one day - http://www.warrioronline.demon.co.uk/specialofferecw.htm
    They are very simple and limited pose number, but I like them and it's a real bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestion, I am very tempted, but I am concerned that my 60cm square playing area may prove too small.

      Delete
  2. Have you considered Peter Dennis's paper ECW armies from his book. Good value for money and no painting. Sets of rules and scenary as well. Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paul, yes I have, they are lovely illustrations. I might well consider it if I can scale them down to fit my playing area.I was thinking of a maximum of 20 figures per side. 10mm Lancer Miniatures are extremely good value it seems at 15p per infantry figure, so I am leaning towards them I think. I am very partial to Pedraken and may get some civilians and armed peasants to use during these skirmish raids.

    ReplyDelete